Win 8 or Win 7?

Talk about computers, electronics, hardware, software, etc
Forum rules
Please do not advertise any websites here or shorten your links in the Lounge. Any spam will be deleted and accounts banned.

Win 8 or Win 7?

Windows 8
52%
Windows 7
48%

Total votes: 31

x3MeNToX
Registered Member

Win 8 or Win 7?

Post by x3MeNToX » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Who is the best? Windows 8(8.1) or windows 7?
Please leave your comment down here with the argumentation why you chose that. And don't forget to vote!

Xellon
Adf.ly Legend

Re: Win 8 or Win 7?

Post by Xellon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm

According to some benchmarks I've seen between windows 7 and 8, win 8 performs a bit better. I think most people don't like the idea of getting used to a new OS which is why some people are not upgrading. 8.1 brings back a lot of old features from windows 7 which is nice. But mostly I find the new "tablet" desktop set up to be completely useless and the default apps are not very useful. But it's there as a "Start" menu of sorts.

Bring up the desktop in 8.1 and its not that much different then 7. I haven't used 8 yet (all this I know from researching) so I won't vote just yet.

x3MeNToX
Registered Member

Post by x3MeNToX » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Xellon wrote:According to some benchmarks I've seen between windows 7 and 8, win 8 performs a bit better. I think most people don't like the idea of getting used to a new OS which is why some people are not upgrading. 8.1 brings back a lot of old features from windows 7 which is nice. But mostly I find the new "tablet" desktop set up to be completely useless and the default apps are not very useful. But it's there as a "Start" menu of sorts.

Bring up the desktop in 8.1 and its not that much different then 7. I haven't used 8 yet (all this I know from researching) so I won't vote just yet.
I use win 8.1 and I can say that Win 7 wins the battle. Win 8 is optimized for tablets, phones, it's somehow in BETA version. Of course, it has a lot of new features but it doesn't work as I expected. Win 8 is useful when you have a pen-touch display.
In gaming I ensure you that Win7 is 100% better than Win 8. I think, even Win Xp is better in gaming that 8.
Here is a photo with win 8.1 start menu without any modifications. It continues little further in right side!
http://i.imgur.com/384gyDv.jpg

Xellon
Adf.ly Legend

Post by Xellon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 am

@x3MeNToX benchmarks don't lie. Its a fact that it performs better and consumes less space on the hardrive. Tests were performed on both windows 8 and 7 on a clean windows install (no bloatware). Downside however is there are some comparability issues with some games with windows 8.1 since its fairly new but that should be resolved in time.

While windows 8.1 has the features required for tablets, for normal laptops/desktops without touch, you can still navigate without any issues especially since they bought back the normal windows 7 start button on the desktop and added a new search feature.

As for windows 8.1 having features that doesn't work, this is half correct. It seems factory windows 8 depending on how its installed causes issues with some apps/features. So a lot of false rumors spread that windows 8 is "broken." These issues disappear using a clean windows 8.1 install and not updating from 8 to 8.1 or from 7 to 8.1

Last thing I saw (as I said, all from research as I haven't used it myself) was IE 10 (or IE 11 whichever is the latest for win 8) is faster then all browsers on windows 8. Now, I'm a chrome/firefox fan as its much faster then IE on windows 7 but that instant load time to other sites seem pretty insane from what I've seen. The time it takes to open I haven't seen yet.

Once you learn the windows 8.1 shortcuts, seems like navigation is better then win 7.

One thing I didn't like about windows 8.1 was those snap features. Its cool that you can snap 1 app on one side of the screen and a 2nd app on another side but it doesn't look like you can snap to how you like. ex, you can't snap 4 apps or control where they can go on screen.

FriedZombie

Post by FriedZombie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Stuff on the different windows version vista 7 and 8 are interchangable (although some tweaking needed here and there to do so sometimes (not often)).

I don't like the whole touch device feel of windows 8, they have brought back the feel somehwat from 7 but still 8 feels too touchscreeny to me.
But hey, I do a lot of linux stuff on a command line. So probably i'm not the one to ask :P

surikan12
Pro Member

Post by surikan12 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:29 am

WIndows 8.1 would be my choice.
Though I rarely use windows, Windows 8.1 is much faster.

Pro/con
Windows 7 is stable while Windows 8.1 has quite a lot of bugs due to its huge modification. MS changed a lot in such a short term and windows 8.1 is generally less stable than windows 7.

Windows 7 eats up resources like water. Windows 8.1 is lightweight. Less resource hogging.

Windows 7 has the start button. Windows 8.1 doesn't. Though I hear that the start button will be brought back in a future update.

Windows 8.1 Metro style is ugly and useless. Unless you're using a tablet, Metro UI is useless.

Compatibility issues. Windows 8.1 is incompatible with some developing hacking tools that is perfectly operational in windows 7.

I guess if you're not a dev, win8.1 is the choice for you.

Although, Linux is my preferred OS.

haes

Post by haes » Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 pm

if the question is win 8 / 7, i choose win 8.1, and wait for windows 9 maybe
but for favorites OS, Kali Linux is my favorite

spaceworld

Post by spaceworld » Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm

x3MeNToX wrote:Who is the best? Windows 8(8.1) or windows 7?
Please leave your comment down here with the argumentation why you chose that. And don't forget to vote!
The GOOD
I 've used windows 8 for at least six months now. I like the fact that its faster only at start up and shut down, I can pause what am copying and multi-task smoothly.

The BAD
The first thing I hated when I first laid my hands on it is that I thought the screen of the PC had turned into a TOUCH screen and I literary tried it! Imagine using a mouse on a touch screen platform! Ridiculous!!! Then I got stuck looking for the desktop as the screen was filled with loads of Microsoft internet dependent blot-ware like that of a smart phone. The worst part was when I almost failed to switch off the PC because the shut down program is almost concealed. Who would have expected to find it in the settings menu honestly? I had to Google that up for help!!! IT HAS NO START BUTTON or Menu. (-A critical defining and traditional windows all-programs menu normally located at the bottom left corner of the desktop). I had to download a legit copy of it and installed it as I would never use a windows PC without it.

The UGLY
Windows eight truth be told isn't as stable as win7. Enormous system crushes and incompatibility issues with several applications. Heavy gamers like me Hate it for this as many video games designed to work on higher versions of windows fail tremendously to play.

Verdict?
Am totally not a big fun of windows 8 on a non touch screen platform. I highly recommend it on a touch screen PC and upgrade it immediately 8.1 for best results

mostewa

Post by mostewa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Mobile PC - Assus T100 Windows 8.1 - the better system.

sylwiarabczak

Post by sylwiarabczak » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 pm

Windows 8.1 is easy and simple! Besides, it is very fast compared to previous versions